Paradoxically, I believe God actually is fair in that He views all of us equally and that even with all the pain, suffering, and evil in the world, the Order of Humanity makes sense to Him.
I'm not going to comment here on pain and suffering. I believe that to be the disgrace of Man.
Instead (and this is not an indictment of Him), I'm struggling with the fairness of God.
Individual circumstances appear through my miniscule human perspective to be unfair. We’re all born into this world with varying degrees of opportunity. Some people are born into wealth while others are born into poverty which will pave the way to your future: your health, your education, and your overall standard of living. Everything, for the most part, is tied into where, when, and how you were born.

Then there’s ability. The world only has one Barbara Streisand and one Magic Johnson. The rest of us can take lessons, but ultimately, if you weren’t born with the right degree of talent, you just aren’t ever going to become a megastar even when presented with the right opportunity.
Of course, there are exceptions: the little girl with chords of steel who was born into a third world country and will never record a CD; or the famous actor who becomes immensely wealthy but who doesn’t really have the talent to warrant his success.
But in most instances, if you're going to succeed in your chosen field (especially the arts), you must must must already possess the necessary talent.
God places each of us in the world under both positive and negative circumstances. Some people take this as evidence that He doesn’t exist. I don’t. I believe He does exist. I believe He created us. And I believe He loves us all.
I just can’t wrap my head around the apparent unfairness of our individual circumstances. How does He choose who will go where and why? And how? Toss of a die?
Perhaps one day He’ll explain it to me ...
I have often shared your thoughts. Then it occurred to me that perhaps we are not here to enjoy the benefits of a simple or come easy life. (not that those born with gifts always have it better or easier, for some they can turn into a curse) Perhaps we are here to gather experience. That experience could come to us in many different and fulfilling ways. Who is to say that while on a different plain of existence, we didn't have some say in our circumstance? Much like an actor wanting a more challenging role. Its not what we are given as much as what we are able to do with it. I believe that God gives us nothing we can not handle, it comes down to the choices we make. And who is to say that the person who struggles the most, doesn't have the most beautiful feeling of being blessed?
ReplyDeleteWell said, anon!
ReplyDelete