Facebook ... I finally joined several months back, and I STILL don’t get it. I mean, there are a few things to like:
- The streamlined appearance.
- The ease in which I can customize my page.
- The fact that the site always seems to know who my friends are by “suggesting” I add them. Creepy. And cool.
- What the heck’s new?! I feel like I have to click everywhere just to figure out what I haven’t seen yet. MySpace is much easier. I log on, they tell me I have new comments, messages, whatever. Not so with Facebook. I have to figure it all out on my own. Time-consuming.
- All the friggin’ applications. I mean, some of them are cool. Namely, the Visual Bookshelf or Stage Door applications. But do I really have to install Every. Single. One of them? If I get one more “You’ve been invited to some mob war" thingee I think I’ll stick a fork in my eye!
- There’s no actual blogging. Weird.
- And you can’t see anyone’s profile unless you’re friends with them. What, no snooping?! Isn’t that the whole reason I’m online?!! :) But seriously, sometimes I don't know who's asking me to friend them because their default picture just shows a baby. Uhm, that doesn't tell me who you are.
In other news ... movies ...
My uber-cool dude Patrick and I had a marathon last week. We saw Iron Man, Indiana Jones 4, Prince Caspian, and The Happening.
Prince Caspian was definitely my fav. I’m sad it didn’t do as well as expected in the theaters. Not only was it true to the original novel, but all the changes they made were exceptional enhancements that actually upheld the integrity of the book. I think the entire Chronicles of Narnia canon is beautiful, and I hope they film all seven books (especially The Magician's Nephew). But, then again, I'm a sucker for YA fiction.
Next was Iron Man - an extremely pleasant surprise - followed by Indiana Jones and The Happening.
I love M. Night My-Name-Is-Hard-To-Pronounce, but he really needs to start directing someone else’s movies. I mean ... what was the point of The Happening? It just ended. No change, no growth, no nothing. Just a not-so-subtle warning to humanity. Whoop-dee-do.
Kudos to Betty Buckley, though. Her role slash cameo was the highlight of the movie for me.
Then there’s Indiana Jones. All I can say is ... uhm ... what? Aliens? Dumb.
It could have been cool, but none of it made sense. And enough of the CGI, George Lucas! Did Indy really need those “cute” groundhogs? Enough already!
But Harrison Ford still has it! There's The Mummy and the National Treasure franchises, but no one holds a candle to Mr. Ford. He's the quintessential professor slash archeologist who can handle a whip. I'll go see an Indiana Jones 5 IF they cut out the crapy. And I'd be happy to have Cate Blanchett! In fact, put Betty Buckley and Cate in a movie together and let the sparks fly!
And that, my friends, is today’s blog. For real.
Hey Tait,
ReplyDeleteAdam L here from Livingsocial.com, the site that powers the Visual Bookshelf on Facebook. I wanted to just say that I agree with your overall assessment of the mass of Facebook applications, although I certainly agree that VB is one that is worthwhile.
One suggestion I have for you is that you can link your bookshelf between Facebook>Livingsocial.com>Myspace in case you want to show off your books across your two profiles. To do so visit livingsocial.com and clicks settings in the top right nav to get started.
Happy reading!
Adam L
Livingsocial.com